The podcast you never knew you needed in your life. 🙂
A down-to-earth and chuckle-worthy conversation on everyday topics with a Franciscan friar from Duke University. You can listen to Friar Side Chats on Soundcloud, iTunes, or your favorite podcasting app.
Let us know which episodes are your favorite and what you’d like to hear more of!
After you’ve listened to an episode, you can check back here for any important show notes:
#13 | Summer Fallacies
- Fr. Mike and Emma’s recommended summer spiritual reading books:
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (originally released as informal radio broadcasts; a top ten classic for any Christian)
- Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton (an autobiography of Merton’s conversion; very story-like and easily digestible)
- Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (a masterpiece of satire; both laugh-aloud funny and deadly serious)
- The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (very original and creative look at heaven, hell, and purgatory; incredibly insightful and thought-provoking)
- My Life with the Saints by Fr. James Martin (an enjoyable and very relatable memoir; inspiring and hilarious)
- Pray As You Go
- Literally use this every time we’re in a new city, wherever you are in the world. So easy to find Mass and Reconciliation opportunities. Def wanna bookmark this.
- A few other recommendations…
- The podcast Catholic Stuff You Should Know is great! A lighthearted exploration of both prominent and obscure Catholic topics.
- The FOCUS Blog has tons of great posts geared toward college students (but which we in the office still find very relatable and helpful for our own spiritual lives, too!).
- As the Netflix-for-Catholics, you could really stand to spend some of your summer free time on FORMED.org. We’ve got all the details for you here. (And psst… we’ve already paid your subscription fee.)
#12 | Happy Birthday, Catholics!
- Pentecost, the birthday of the Church, reminds us of our call to carry the Good News out to the world. Check out Fr. Barron’s post “How to Preach Like the Apostles” for some additional thoughts on carrying out that mission.
- Still not sure how to begin praying to the Holy Spirit? Don’t stress! You’re not alone. We like starting out with these simple prayers, and really taking our time meditating through each line.
#11 | A Real World Plan
- Whether you’re a graduate and moving on from Duke, or spending the summer to working/boosting your resume/traveling/spending time with family, we believe that coming up with a game plan for the real world (and the Duke world, too, tbh) requires fear-free decision making! We guarantee, if you really take these three keys to heart and put them into practice, your plans will begin to take shape and you’ll definitely find more peace.
#10 | Sweating Like an Army Mule
- To continue thinking (and praying, hopefully!) through these ideas around examinations large and small, we recommend also reading this short post from our friends at FOCUS: “What If the Real Test Isn’t the Final You’re Preparing For?“
#9 | Party On!
#8 | The Big Dance
#7 | No Regrets… Right?
- Reconciliation during the academic year is so easy to find! Every Wednesday night at 9pm in Goodson Chapel, and every Thursday afternoon from 12:15-12:45pm in the Chapel Basement offices.
- Fr. Mike and Fr. Brad are also happy to make an appointment for reconciliation any time! Simply email them to set it up.
- We also very strongly recommend the Forgiven series on FORMED.org. Enjoy any or all of the three part series, and reconnect to God’s mercy! To find out how to watch the series, we have login instructions for you.